From a manila envelope, I was handed 27 8X10 color photos showing all the wounds described in the 14 page written autopsy report. I will attempt to describe my interpretation of these images as they were plotted on various diagrams and reports. It will be helpful to have a copy of the written autopsy report so you can follow the Medical Examiner’s description of the various blunt force injuries. (link below on this Blog)
Blunt force Injury #1
This 1” crescent mark was on the left shoulder. Her arm appeared very bruised around this mark. It was not a laceration, but appeared as a well defined superficial mark on her skin. Very telling for possible weapon clues.
Blunt force Injury #2
This was a very clean, 1 ¼ cut on her lower left jaw. This was due to her jaw being broken and then fragmented bone protruding from “inside out”.
Blunt force Injury #3
The left side of Michelle’s head had 8 very deep and gaping wounds. As the diagram shows, they were all around her ear and ultimately caused a temporal skull fracture. It was very obvious that this was a very hard attack, as all were very deep and gaping.
Blunt force Injury #4
Michelle’s neck appeared very swollen and was a medium shade of pink. The ME said this was evidence of attempted strangulation. The perpendicular scratch marks appeared as her own, obviously done in a desperate attempt to pull the killer’s hands off.
Blunt force Injury #5
This was the first photo I saw and one of the hardest to look at. The frontal shot of Michelle’s face showed a once beautiful girl with swollen, contorted features. Her upper and lower lips were badly swollen and bruised. Her tongue was very swollen and protruding. The complex mandible fractures described in the report was in layman’s term, a very badly broken jaw around the chin and upper gums, where 3 upper front teeth were missing. Another photo showed 3 perfectly formed teeth, with roots intact. In other words, these 3 teeth were totally knocked /ejected from Michelle’s gums, not just broken off. In addition, there were 2 additional fragmented teeth broken from the lower jaw. As we all know, there was another partial tooth found in the home by the Young Family after the crime scene investigators left. It was confirmed to me that this tooth fragment matched Michelle’s remaining tooth mast.
Blunt force Injury #6 and #7
Both of Michelle’s outside surface of the hands appeared extremely swollen and badly bruised. In fact, several of her fingers appeared at least 25 % larger than normal. The swelling was so pronounced, I compare it to a time I was stung by a wasp and my hand swelled tremendously.
Blunt force Injury #8, # 9, #10
This group of 13 severe wounds and abrasions to the back of the head was very hard to look at. These were not just “cuts”, but were gaping gashes directly on the back of head. Because the back of her head was shaven, I was able to see that many of these severe lacerations were carved very deep all the way to the skull. The drawings you see on the report cannot come close to helping you truly understand the gravity of the vicious wounds.
The photo of Michelle’s brain showed extreme bleeding on both sides. There was a skull fracture present in the base of the skull. I was told this type of skull fracture is very rare since it take a tremendous force to the back of the head to cause one. Another clue to what occurred here.
I saw livor mortis (settling of the blood in the lower portion of the body, causing a purplish red discoloration of the skin) on her front side, much more pronounced along the left side. Though not depicted fully in the photos, I could see some evidence of this discoloration on her upper back.
I was disappointed that her clothing was not photographed; as I wanted to get a better idea of the weight of this zipped up “hoodie”. Even more disappointing, there was not a photo available of the single hair strand found on Michelle’s hand. I was told this was considered evidence and could not be revealed in an ongoing investigation (seems obvious now that I think about it).
Time of death ? We know law enforcement said from 12 am to 6 am . It seems logical they would want to allow a window before and after. Could it be in the middle....3 AM ?
The Photos seemed to be arranged first showing the face shots, hand, neck and finally the very graphic scalp wounds. The very last photo in the stack was the one I did not want to see…. Michelle’s 5 month old baby boy. So-so sad.
Like lacy Peterson and "Baby Connor", please do not forget him just because he was not named. Michelle's baby boy was a human being that did not deserve to die.
At the end of 5 months:
* Baby is 8 to 10 inches long
* Weighs about 1 pound
* Hair begins to grow on his head
* Michelle begins to feel fetal movement
* Eyebrows, eyelids and eyelashes appear

Hopefully there will be murder trial sooner rather than later. I am sure the jury will see these god awful photos of a battered Michelle Young. I would also suspect they will see what this savage killer did to this innocent unborn child. If there was ever a case that deserved the death penalty in NC, this is the one.
God Bless Michelle’s family
48 comments:
Unbelievable what that poor woman and baby went through. I'm sure these photos were difficult to view...ty....
All I can say is, Oh my God. The utter pain and horror this poor girl endured. Hopefully, an arrest is coming SOON! RPD, Thank you so much for sharing this with all of us. I'm joining you in prayers for Michelle Young and her unborn baby son, for the quick arrest of their murderer and justice for them and Michelle's family. May God bless their souls.
Thank you , RPD. It coul not have been easy for you to view them.
Horrific thinking of little Cassidy possibly hearing/seeing this, and MF walking in and finding her sister so violently murdered....just makes me sick..
Thank you. I can not imagine the difficulty you were faced with today viewing these pictures. I have read your post and I am still trying to imagine/absorb the information. I will be back in a while - I need a break for a few minutes...
RPD ~~
I can't even begin to comprehend how very difficult seeing those photos was for you. Thank you for doing that for those of us that couldn't do it. I prayed for you that you'd have the strength to get through it okay.
Thank you for sharing this with us. And I respect the fact that it was important to you and that you did what most people wouldn't have been able to cope with. Thank you again.
Your report really brings home the horror that Michelle went through. Let's pray for an arrest and conviction quickly. And may God bless Michelle's and the unborn baby's souls.
Did you see any injuries to the baby?
Did you see any injuries to Michelle's feet?
Listening Post
RPD,
Thank you very much for what you did today. And bless you for being strong enough to view the photos. If you feel up to it, I do have more questions (not heaps, only a couple for clarification) and I will leave it up to you whether or not you want to answer them.
Again, I thank you and hope that you recover well from the experience.
Hugs
Sami
Thank you for having the respect and concern for Michelle and her baby that we all know that you had. You have a great talent for writing so that others can see what you are seeing, and yet it's not graphic - it's sensitive and compassionate. This had to be a difficult day for you. For your sake, I'm glad it's over.
Kathy
I knew it would be emotionally taxing...RPD...I appreciate your interp. and dedication.....I am in tears imagining what you saw and reading the commentary...her poor little body, the teeth...OMG...godspeed justice.
I add, godspeed justice, yet again, sadly.
Do you think a 1" crescent is large enough to be from a flashlight? It would have to be a large flashlight to be such a deadly weapon, wouldn't it?
Thank you for doing this and bringing it here.
Well, not sure if she was able to put up much of a fight...Would a female have been able to over power poor MY and inflict this kind of devistation???
OMG. Just reading that leaves me speechless. Thank you, RPD.
L
Hi RPD!
Thanks for your report, comments and opinion. It must have been tough to view the photos, and envision the last moments of Michelle Young's life and to know the son she was carrying never got a chance to draw a single breath on this earth. My thoughts and prayers are with Michelle's family, and I pray that justice is properly served.
From the wounds you described seeing in the photos, and Michelle's teeth being avulsed, this vicious attack doesn't sound like one which was perpetrated by a woman, due to the sheer force of its delivery.
I believe an arrest is forthcoming, and although justice may be delayed, I don't think it will be denied.
Thanks again for posting and sharing your thoughts.
I too am speechless. I am reading this as my daughter is in the other room getting ready for bed. So sad for Cassidy that she no longer has her mommy who obviously adored her. So sad for all who love and miss Michelle. Thank you RPD. I don't suppose sleep will come easy this evening.
Lilismom
Bless you RPD, I hope seeing this horrible aftermath will not be to hard on you.
Thank you,
Rain
Thank you for sharing with all of us. I cannot begin to imagine how hard the photos were to look at...it's hard enough just to read about it.
I am now wondering if something more was done to the unborn baby boy? I feel absolutely heartsick for Michelle and her family!
This was a much more viscious attack than I originally imagined. I'm shedding a tear for this young mother and picturing her fighting for her life. God Bless Michelle and her unborn child. May the animal who did this unspeakable act be arrested soon.
Thank you RPD for your sensitivity and compassion that you have shown in your coverage of this tragic murder.
After reading your report RPD, this attack is much worse than I ever imagined and I appreciate your time, effort and concern in viewing these horrific photos. The perpetrator attacked her with animal-like vengence. My mind just will not allow me to focus on the excruciating pain that Michelle experienced that night.She is in a better place now, unfortunately leaving her child, mother, sister and countless others that loved her, but away from this animal that wanted her obliterated!
God Bless You, RPD. I tried to PM you on CTV, but for obvious reasons your message box is full. The AR did not lead us to believe it was THIS bad. It sounded more like a struggle in the AR. After your opinion - it was nothing but a sick bludgeoning. It tears me apart. Prayers and Justice for MY and her babies that no longer have their mommy. TY again.
Thank you RPD - this really helped me understand this crime with full clarity. This was not a person looking to rob the house. This was anger and rage, also i am now convinced more than ever that Cassidy could not have been asleep or have gone unoticed by the perp..this was a loud violent struggle.
Mendara from Courtv.com
Hi RPD,
How horrible! I had a very bad "time" with the autopsy report", this is even worse.
I am going to go hug the man that I married, because I am not afraid to sleep beside him.
You went where many of US could not.
I hope you can get some sleep.
ALL MY LOVE!
Swabby
Thank you RPD for sharing your views of the autopsy photos. God Bless.
AJCZ
thanks for sharing, RPD. i just can't understand how any human being could commit such a heinous act on another human being.
i agree with you... whoever did this deserves the DP.
chineseeyes from CTV
Thanks for doing what I could not do myself and expressing yourself so eloquently.
When you have time, clear your PM's...need to send you a day brightener...
Raleigh Resident
I can't think of anything to say just now. I'm sure the questions will come later. For now, just thanks. Hope you have a restful night, RPD.
Scout
Thank you RPD! How awful that night must have been for Michelle! I cannot even begin to fathom what she went through and what her family continues to live with now. I will pray that this "truly sick" individual gets what they deserve and pray for justice for Michelle, and her baby boy!
RPD. Thank you very much for this. I am speechless. I am sure that you knew what you were walking into when you did this, but this seems so much worse than I was expecting for you.
Your summary was very informative and respectful. TY again.
I hope that you are ok.
Ellas Mom
First of all, RPD thank you for finding the courage to do what you did today. I know it couldn't have been easy.
Sometimes with these message boards we can become desensitized to these heinous acts of murder.Today, you have brought the victims back into focus. Thank you for that.
Cognac
After reading your findings today I have every confidence that LE will solve this case and justice will be served.
RPD,
Your analysis of these photos has left me with the stark realization of the intense rage released in those 5 minutes upon Michelle and her unborn baby. You have been steadfast in your pursuit of justice for these beloved victims. I feel certain that Michelle is smiling upon you from heaven, knowing that she has a wonderful, caring friend and crusader for justice in you, RPD.
Peace be with you.
Sincerely,
Lynne
RPD, thank you for the sensitivity and respect with which you approached this difficult task--viewing the photos, and describing them here for those of us who do not have access (and who well may not be able to do what you did today). Chills ran up and down my spine as I read descriptions of the injuries Michelle had and knowing the pain and fear she must have felt. This is a crime of such enormity and devastation against this lovely, beautiful, talented and loving young pregnant mother.
May she and her unborn son rest in peace; may the monster who did this be tried and convicted; may her family find courage now, and one day peace as they can.
Thanks for doing this, RPD.
I can't imagine what it was like for you RPD and appreciate your doing this. I too hope you're ok.
What a shock - definitely a DP case. I need a little time out but will be back.
Thank you...
RPD, Thank you.........
I pray for LE, the Dist. Att., the family, friends, and the perpetrator of this terrible deed. I pray they will come forward on their own, or be brought forward and justice served.
Debbie
RPD,
I hope you are rested and feeling well this morning. When you feel up to answering questions, whether today or maube tomorrow, please let us know. Thank you again for all you've done.
RPD,
thank you for doing this for us. I hope you will not be haunted by what you saw in those pictures. I am sure CY and MF are haunted by that day. I still hope JY had nothing to do with this.
Bless you for this. I think it is intresting that the hair was not shown to public, it may be the killers hair then if it was MY's I don't think they would of kept this hidden. also do you think Jy would need a flashlight to get to his own house? I do not know the area or how dark it is there so it may be a dumb question to most.
Thanks again the descriptions you gave were very descriptive and helpful. the autopsy did not show the brutally of this beating. I wounder what else is not being shared. maybe the picture of her clothes as well. maybe they were being tested for dna.
also jusy fyi lots of new people on court tv looking for this link.
I'm more curious about the appearance of the abrasions and contusions than anything else. Baden seemed to think that there was some pattern to the abrasions that indicated the use of an object with a knurled surface. I've never understood where he got that idea, as there is no description of a patterned imprint with any of the bruises or scrapes. He seemed to be basing his opinion solely on the marks the ME made on the diagrams. It isn't clear to me if those are meant to depict a pattern or are just the method of shading he used.
So, my question is did you see any such pattern associated with the abrasions and/or contusions?
Thank you, RPD. I appreciate the chance to glean more information from across the country.
thanks rpd, we all appreciate your sensitivity
Very informative.
Did you get any sense of the "knurling" marks on the body?
Can you describe them?
(those remarks from the forensic pathologist on the Gretta show)
Thank you, RPD.
May justice prevail.
Thanks RPD for all your hard (heartwrenching) work on this report. Reading this, along with the AR pictures, really makes me realize that this was a very personal attack on MY and convinces me even more that it was someone close. I, too, will keep the family of Michelle Young in my prayers. Thank you again, RPD, as I'm sure this wasn't an easy task.
RPD, Your interpretation of the AR gave perspective to this case that everyone needed, that is, a beautiful, smart, young, mother, daughter, sister , wife and friend, lost her life unnesessarly in a brutal, horriffic way. She didn't deserve to die like this. Her daughter didn't deserve to lose her mother. Her little boy deserved a chance. Some creature came into her home and destroyed all of their lives. I cannot comprehend that kind of evil. I hope that justice is swift and is carried out. I pray that a needle is placed in this animals arm full of drugs that will wipe "it" off the face of the earth and that "it" suffers the way this vibrant young woman obviously suffered at the end of her life. Thank-you, RPD, because until I read your report, I did not understand how ugly this really was. Now included in my prayers every night is the fervent prayer for God to give the WCSD the wisdom and guidance to find her killer.
I can't even imagine how MF must of felt having found her sister in the condition. It is way more brutal than I thought. RPD thanks for doing this for everyone. It gave us an idea of what Michelle had to endeavor that night. I hope an arrest is made soon.
http://www.maglite.com/D_Cell_LED.asp
Here are some pix n specs on mag-lite flashlights...they indeed have a "knurled" surface to rotate the "head".
Thanks RPD for your insight.
Thanks for your very informative and compassionately written report.
Whoever committed this act is a monster, and doesn't deserve to walk free.
I will say prayers for her family, and for you, RPD.
G_d bless Michelle and her baby boy along with those who loved her. No one should ever have to suffer what she suffered.
RPD, thank you for viewing and allowing us to share your thoughts and comments in order to have a greater understanding of the viciousness of this crime.
Michelle and baby RIP.
Thanks RPD. I could almost see what you are describing here. So horrific and I thank you for having the will to view them and post your thoughts.
Justice for Michelle and Baby and Family. Just unimaginable.
Sassafrass
Just wanted to say thank you!!! I pray for you, the family/friends for justice on the SOB that did this to her. I did noticed from the WRAL photo today that she was sitting on at a brick fireplace with her daugther. After reading your detailed report I wondered if her head was banged on it to cause such lacerations you mentioned. Regardless, I hope her killer is found and put to death for the killing of TWO people!!!!!!!!!
Post a Comment